Our fast-growing K9 business seeks a Dog Trainer to assist in the day to day care of the facility dogs here at our kennel as well as assist with some of the guests. Candidates must be experienced and preferably certified as a trainer, a bit on the dog crazy side and share our passion for outstanding training and care of our canine guests. It is not enough to “love dogs” (we know most of us do!!) You must be able to handle dogs with temperaments of all types from the shy introverted dogs to the solid, stable dogs to the, well somewhat over the top working dogs, with little to no training. You must be confident, assertive, but most of all willing to learn our ways of working with the dogs. This job is not for the faint of heart! We are growing and looking for some people to grow with us.
This is a physical job. We also do a lot of walks, swim times, and general movement of dogs. Since the dogs staying with us don’t sit around, doing anything, neither do we!!! If you love the out of doors, love dogs, love physical activity, this may be for you! Experience competing in dog sports and/or working in a vet hospital or shelter a plus but not required. We will train the right people!
You will focus more on training, less on the Technician aspects of the job. The position is currently approx 40 hours per week (6 days per week).
RESPONSIBILITIES- Dog Trainer
Work with Facility Dogs (Belgian Malinois and Dutch Shepherds) and eventually some client Board and Train dogs utilizing a balanced training method to teach behaviors
The methodology used will be that of the facility…we are not looking for someone to freelance with their methods
The ideal candidate will be open to learning (we are willing to coach new trainers but are open to people with experience so long as they are open-minded)
The ideal candidate will follow company protocols to teach basic behaviors to puppies, young adults and some client dogs (board and trains)
The ideal candidate will be able to learn with an open mind, take constructive feedback to adapt themselves to our protocols (we know you may be awesome already, but people are coming here because of the way WE do things…so adaptation to our criteria is mandatory…though we will welcome thoughtful discussion after the learning curve phase!
The ideal candidate will have a trained/are training their own dogs to a high level and potentially compete (venue not important) to better themselves as trainers
The ideal candidate will be able to adapt quickly to a changing situation
The ideal candidate will be able to take puppies for socialization outings
The ideal candidate will have some video/social media skills for documentation/marketing purposes
- Working Facility Dogs
- Work with Board and Train
- Work with Clients on private lessons and group classes
- Community outreach and obtaining new clients (Bonuses given for leads you bring and close)
The candidate will be expected to assist with all Kennel Tech Responsibilities on an as-needed basis. the focus will be the training of the dogs, but they will also be expected to be up to speed and standards and assist in all kennel tech responsibilities.
- Independently ensuring that all guests/facility dogs are moved throughout their various activities during their stay with us.
- Oversight/monitoring of documentation of health check/medication administration for facility dogs.
- Feeding accurately per client directions our guest's food as well as facility dogs.
- Cleanliness of canine quarters.
- Maintaining appropriate levels of kennel supplies.
- Maintaining the facilities to ensure the safety and sanitation of all guests are met as needed. This could include things like weedeating, power washing, or any other task that impacts the safety, care, etc… of the dogs.
- Basic grooming of guests/facility
500.00/Week plus bonus (Average pay total per week 1150.00)
PTO and Sick Time after 120 Days
Medical/Dental/Vision (65 Percent) Insurance after 120 Days